Let’s go back a few posts to an argument I discussed earlier in the semester. When I was discussing the arguments (on both sides of the ring) over digital piracy. Today I am going to analyze a single argument against illegal downloads that we constantly hear - the same argument that warrants federal protection. Downloading illegally is, essentially, enjoying a product without paying for it. According to Kofi Outlaw, people who illegally download films are “reaping the pleasure of a good movie without ever rewarding those who worked so hard to entertain them.”
Outlaw is arguing illegal downloads are bad because people are not paying for the products. Thus, the claim in this argument is that illegally downloading films is wrong. The grounds for this claim are that the people making it are not rewarded for their efforts because you are not paying. I guess it is safe to say the warrant behind this claim is that society generally feels it is wrong to take something without paying for it. The argument assumes that people value hard work, and it is up to the reader to assess whether this argument rightly appeals to them. Do you think these grounds are build a strong enough warrant to govern the decisions made in digital progress?
I did analyzed a anti-piracy add, an came up with almost the the same warrants. Its intresting that they us the same warrants in both appeals.
ReplyDelete